post id-dnub...

Dan hu post fejn nitfa xi hsibijiet li jkolli...u fejn nikteb fuq xi kazzatti li niltaqa maghhom kuljum...

Thursday, July 27, 2006

untitled

It was a jungle of concrete...the sun was setting, birds where fighting for a place to sleep, noises where dying down gradually as the city lulled itself to sleep.

It was a modern apartment, well finished, but simple in its own way. In the main room a table stood in the middle, neatly prepared with a plate, a glass and a newspaper.

A noise broke the silence, and the door opened slowly, a hand entered and switched on the light with that natural ability of someone who did this everyday. I stepped inside and closed the door behind me, taking off my coat and doing the daily ritual i have done for the past years. I put on my andrea bocelli cd, stepped out of my clothes and entered the shower. The microwave started heating my meal, one of those pre-cooked cheap ones you find at any supermarket, ah the beauty of technology, and the invention of the timer.

Drying myself off, and putting on my house clothes I sit at my chair, absently eating, my eyes never leaving the painting infront of me...Sunflowers, Van Gogh. It is finished, or I'm fed up stuffing food in my mouth, I don't know nor I care. I push my chair back, pick up the newspaper, and I sit down in my armchair to have a look.

Terrible accident kills 10, 5 earthquake victims, 2 murdered read some of the main headlines, I skimmed through them and the obituaries, a tear falling slowly down my face...another day, other people, and my name's not there.

The music stops and silence sets in.

I fold the newspaper neatly in its place, go to my bedroom, make the sign of the cross and close my eyes. Darkness, then colours, lights, people, some strange places, faces I loved but forgot......a small noise wakes me up, fucken clock. I go to the kitchen, wash last night's utensils, and then they're back to their usual place on the table. I pick up the newspaper from behind the door and fold it neatly in its place, everyday the same, keeps me sane.

A brief shower, I put on my working clothes, look at the full length mirror at the door, remembering I forgot to put on something....


Putting on my mask I go to meet my so called friends, my clients, anyone connected to my job, and hope that today after we laugh and have a fun day at work, my name will be on the newspaper...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home